This year's K96-3 program for emerging artists is getting a slight makeover - if you're from the BC interior, read on for this year's details!
Emerging artists from the BC interior region can apply to win one of three recording grants of $1000, to be used at an interior-owned recording studio to record a previously unreleased song. From the 3 recordings, one winner will be selected to receive over $3500 in cash in prizes!
- Residency: Artist must be a resident within the interior of BC, being the region which includes the Interior Plateau as well as various mountain ranges and the valleys between them, comprises everything inland from the Coast Mountains and reaching east to the Rocky Mountains and, in the northeast, British Columbia’s sector of the Prairies, the Peace River Block. The artist must be a resident of this area for at least 6 months prior to application. In the case of a band, the majority of band must be applicable residents; i.e. 3 out of 4 members. Any questions about eligible locations please reach out to the Music BC office. Artists from the lower mainland or Vancouver Island will not be eligible.
- Music Genre: All music genres may apply for the K96-3 Emerging Artist Program, however preference shall be given to artists who perform their own songs or songs co-written with other BC based songwriters. No cover songs shall be accepted in assessing eligibility to the program.
- Applicants must be current paid Music BC members.
- Applicants must be 19 or older as of May 27th, 2016
- Artists who have received funding from the K96-3 Emerging Artist Program in previous years are not eligible to apply to the demo program.
To apply, artists must submit a previously unreleased song that they wish to record in a professional studio. The submission may be an audio, or video recording of the song to be considered. If awarded the demo grant, the submitted song must be the song to be recorded. Additional songs may be recorded as well, depending on the agreement between the studio and artist.
Selected artists must use a studio located in the interior region (same definition as above).
Selected artists will submit a budget proposal, outlining what service provider(s) they will be using, and at what rates. If approved, the artist can select between the following payment options:
- Artist receives 50% of award upon approval, and the remaining 50% after submitting receipts and proof of payments for all expenses ($1000 total), or;
- Music BC will pay studio and/or producer/engineer directly, upon receipt of invoices up to $1000. Any overages will be the responsibility of the artist.
Selected artists will have approximately 6 weeks to complete the recording, at which time they will be submitted to Music BC. A panel of industry professionals will then choose one winner, who will receive the grand prize, which includes:
If/when recordings are released to the public via physical or online distribution, funding recognition must be included via Music BC and K96-3 approved logos and the statement "We recognize the support of Music BC and K96-3 in the creation of this recording".
– Launch Party & Music BC SchMusic Event @ Doc Willoughby's (more info
– Deadline for Applications
– Announce selected artists
– Deadline to submit recording
– Announce Winner
Aug 19-21st – Winner performs at Ponderosa Festival
When your form has been successfully completed, you should see a confirmation message, as well as receive a confirmation email. If you do not, there was an issue with your application, and it has not been received by Music BC.
Applications are now closed.